I’m back! After what feels like years away from this blog, my Arc40k preparation is currently in full swing for 2019. And with 200 players already signed up, what a tournament it’s shaping up to be…
I’m not playing much Warhammer 40,000 outside of tournaments these days. Shorter games like Kill Team and X-Wing fit more easily into a weeknight session, and so they see more game time. So, making a good summary sheet (army list, codex rules, model stats and background) has become an important part of my Arc40k preparation each year. Here’s a quick peek at the latest version…
I’m taking Waaagh! Valorkis to the tournament this year. Not, as it turns out, fielded as a 14-model Adeptus Custodes army… Instead, the Orks are being fielded as real greenskins as a new “no counts-as” rule ruled out my original plan. The horde got a hell of a lot bigger, with 56 models to paint. It’s also a fair bit bluer as well… This is a Deathskulls army, and so “lucky blue” is the colour of choice.
I’ve scraped together some (late!) evenings to paint the new models. However, work, thesis and family have ensured that there’s seldom any time for blogging… So, if you’d like to see more WIP photos from my painting desk, I now have a regular stream of updates on Instagram – you can find me at @morsla_minis.
This is a review of the Sagittarius Conversion Kit from Blood and Skulls Industry. It’s designed to replace the tracks, track guards and upper hull from a plastic Land Raider. I’ve also chosen to add the Oppressor (spiky) tracks, and a pair of Alpha pattern dual-weapon sponsons. Here’s what the tank currently looks like, after assembling all the resin components.
As mentioned in my previous post, the casting quality from Blood and Skulls is excellent. During assembly I found a few small air bubbles on the sides of some track links. There are plenty of spares though, and it’s also easy to position these so any bubbles aren’t visible. Overall, it’s a very good quality kit. Details on the Oppressor tracks is particularly good, with every last finger-piercing spike properly filled out.
There was quite a lot of resin flash on the track sections, but this was simple enough to remove with a sharp knife. The resin is very hard, making details sturdier than Forgeworld resin. However, that means that it doesn’t sand very easily.
There seemed to be a lot of mould release fluid on these, as I had very greasy hands after removing the parts from their packaging. I removed this by spraying all parts with Simple Green, and then scrubbing them under running water. Fairly standard practice for any resin kit, and it’s a good opportunity to inspect the parts closely before you glue them together.
I have lots of assembly pics, so I’ll add them after the cut…
Waaagh Valorkis is now underway… As hinted at in my last post, I’ll be working on an Ork army for next year’s Arc40k tournament. Not just any Orks though – some particularly delusional ones, with their sights set on revenge against a particularly tough opponent: Captain-General Trajann Valoris, of the Adeptus Custodes. Chief headsman of the Emperor’s own bodyguards, and personally credited with bringing a sudden and violent end to Waaagh Krushfist back when he served as an Allarus Terminator.
After Krushfist died, most of the gathered Clanz dispersed: Ork hordes rarely survive the loss of a powerful leader. In this particular case though, some of the lesser bosses saw what happened, and decided to seek revenge. What better role model for an Ork than the golden warriors of the Custodes? Powerful, nigh-unkillable warriors, capable of holding their own in a scrap against almost anything in the galaxy.
See, when some git teleports in and stomps yer boss, first ya get kunnin’ – kidnap a good mek, get him to make tougher armour for the ladz, and some of them choppas wiv guns on ‘em. Then ya get brutal – start kickin’ heads in and make enough noise to get the Emperor’s boyz payin’ attention. Then ya get some revenge.
Here’s how the first Ork Custodes test model started out – using Orruk Brutes as the main (Artificer Armour) troops, armed with Guardian Spears and clad in thick plate. The models below are part of Da Cross Toof Mob – a unit formed from Bad Moons, sporting fancy gear like bionics that the other units couldn’t afford.
It’s a start, but still needed something else: some unit markings on the shoulders, and a more high-tech look to the spear blades. I’ll paint those up as “proper” power weapons, so I wanted to copy the visual cues from other 40k powered blades.
Now we’re starting to make some progress 🙂
Through all my years involved in this hobby, there’s one Warhammer 40k faction that I’ve never painted: my very first adversaries, from back in the Rogue Trader / 2E days.
That’s about to change for my Arc40k 2019 project, hopefully getting the band back together to work on a joint project with some friends. It’s time for Arcanacon to start looking a little green…
More details to come soon – I’ve just ordered the models I’ll need, and will start up a project diary once they arrive.
This is a quick look at what’s on my desk at the moment. I decided to try out some new techniques on the allied Alaitoc detachment I’m painting for this year’s Arc40k tournament next month, as I’ve always liked the mottled blue armour from the studio colour scheme.
I’ve used a few different P3 paints for these: basecoat is Exile Blue over a black undercoat. I’ve used a bit of sponge to stipple on Cygnar Blue Base, and some Underbelly Blue (mixed with a bit of Cygnar base) to get the mottled patterning.
I picked out the edges of the armour with the same Underbelly mix, and also used it as a glaze to highlight the upper surfaces of curved armour areas. Once that was done, I glazed the whole surface with some Cygnar base to bring some more of a rich blue hue back to it.