Painting WIP: Angharad part 2
I continued working on the Angharad Brightshield model from my last post, pushing the contrast up a bit with deeper shadows (black and brown), and much brighter highlights. Same plan as before, only with more consistency across the model: the light source is coming across the body, from somewhere above the left arm.
That meant the helmet highlights needed to be placed on the opposite side, and the specular highlights on the shield needed to become a lot brighter. I think it’s working much better now, and a large part of that comes from the contrast on the shoulder and the top of the shield. I’m happy with where this is going, now 🙂
Now to open up the Shadespire box for another look at the game boards, and then I’ll try to match colours with the model bases. I had originally planned to work on 1-2 models from each warband before starting work on something new, but I’d like to have a painted Shadespire warband ready for a game. So, I’ve just cleared all the other models off my desk in preparation: the next things I paint will be the other two Liberators from Steelheart’s group.
Even late at night, the weather is starting to get a bit too warm for painting – so I think this Summer may be when I finally try using a wet palette for the first time. Stay tuned for the next batch of WIP photos 🙂
Painting WIP: Angharad Brightshield
I’d planned to paint the Shadespire models in regular metallics, so I could quickly get them ready for some games. Then I realised that it’s pretty rare to have a painting project capped at only three models, and that seemed like a good opportunity to practice some non-metallic metals.
Bright lights and close-up photos make any painter cringe a bit, but this is the result of last night’s painting on Angharad Brightshield, from the Liberators warband. I realised much later that I’ve painted the light source on the wrong side of her helmet, so I’ll need to go back and change that next time I pick up a brush…
More detail behind the cut…
Shadespire: Sepulchral Guard review
The Sepulchral Guard warband adds some interesting twists to the base game, and also contains some of the nicest plastic skeletons out there. It’s a big warband, by Shadespire standards: seven models (1 leader, 3 heroes, and 3 lowly petitioners), able to swarm the enemy or cover multiple objectives with ease.
Garrek’s Bloodreavers – painting WIP
I’ve started trying to get back into the habit of doing a small amount of painting each evening, in order to re-train some of the muscle memory I’ve lost over the last few years. First up from Shadespire are a couple of Garrek’s Bloodreaver warband: Garrek himself, and his henchman Arnulf.
I’m very rusty, but I’ve enjoyed working on the skin tones for these two: shading with purples, reds and greens, and building up to a bright yellowish-white for the highlights. There are lots of interesting textures to work with, particularly on the torsos.
Unfortunately, I tried spray undercoating on a very windy day, and have ended up with a very thick coat of paint – particularly over the faces of this warband. I think I can salvage them, but it’s going to make things much harder when it comes to detailing the faces.
Flesh, leather and red armour panels are pretty much done on these two – I’d been considering some non-metallic metals, but it’s been ages since I did much work with regular metallics. My silver paints have mostly dried out, so I’ll start work on the blades and buckles once I pick up some new ones.